Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Claude Levi-Strauss


"Claude Lévi-Strauss, the French anthropologist who transformed Western understanding of what was once called “primitive man” and who towered over the French intellectual scene in the 1960s and ’70s, has died at 100." - NY Times

Read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/world/europe/04levistrauss.html

As an Anthropology minor I spent many, many, many hours reading Anthropology articles, text, and literature. If this was another time and place I might engage in some witty banter about it but it's not, and you're lucky ;)

Levi-Strauss was always fascinating to me. Reading his words 50 years after they were penned was still exciting, mystifying and intriguing.
I recommend reading his work, if you haven't before. I warn you though - it's not "light reading." It's dense but rewarding when you get down to it. DO IT!

No comments: